Monday, March 6, 2017

Free Hari Raya Card!

Free Hari Raya Card!


download

I guess Im pretty lucky to reside in multicultural Indonesia. Im pretty proud on that subject. I get to celebrate lots and lots of holidays around here. From Chinese New Year, Easter, Christmas, Halloween.. we didnt have St. Patricks Day tough, sob. And this is the time of the year for Moslems Hari Raya or Idul Fitri or Moslems New Year. Im not a moslem myself, but like any other Indonesians I do get my share of ketupat lebaran and opor ayam ( those are rice cake dish and stewed chicken with coconut milk, kinda like eggnog to Christmas and turkey to Thanksgiving, really tasty :P)

I get many orders for Hari Raya greeting cards and tags too. But one cracked me up. Since I am not a Moslem, I tried to honor the occasion with a traditional greenish design with diamond pattern. Because I didnt know any better way to portrait this holiday. This client of mine said shes not really satisfied. And I asked "Why? I thought I used green to capture the Fitri spirit?" And she said, "Yeah, yeah, I dont really care about all that, I want a modern design."

I chuckled to myself. It is almost unbelievable how we always portray the "holidays" as "traditional" or "old". You know, blushing fat Santa Claus in Norman Rockwells illustration, the witchs silhouette for Halloween... and most of all, we always think that there are no modern interpretation of Hari Raya design. Its always Arabic ornaments here, ketupat imagery there... mostly green... Sooooo... I kinda wish I satisfied all my clients this time. And to you my dear readers out there with this free one. Tell me what you think!

ps. Btw, if you feel left out and want to use the card for other occasion, do tell me! Ill set up a blank/ other greetings a.s.a.p.

Available link for download