Sunday, February 26, 2017

Frenemies

Frenemies


Last season there was a CSI episode in which some Hollywood chic proclaimed that she and another actress were "frenemies." I dont know whether the CSI writers made up that term, but I thought it was BRILLIANT. For the actresses it meant that they pretended to have a bitter rivalry that they didnt really have.

I was reminded of this when my dean wanted me to help publicize a book that I hate. I have no regrets about skipping that, but one could do it on purpose. Two friends could conspire to release somewhat opposing books (you would agree on all sorts of basic assumptions that really matter and that you never discuss on television, of course), and then you just go round with your dog and pony show rackin up the sales.

There are even more benefits, though, and you dont need to go on the air to reap them. For example, its easier to make a big splash in academe if you have a scholarly foe, but making enemies in the academy is a very bad idea. Having frenemies solves both problems. Of course, this means you really have to collaborate to coordinate everything and set up the points of contention so that theyre sustainable, etc. I dont mean to say it would be easy, but its intriguing, at least.

Available link for download