Monday, February 27, 2017

Friday Top Five Advertising Catchphrases

Friday Top Five Advertising Catchphrases



I love it when advertising catchphrases/ slogans  become part of the publics vernacluar. These little nuggets that wedge themselves in our subconsciouness, and before we know it, they are just part of our lives. The point is to create an association, so that every time we say "Like a sunrise" we are subconsciously re-seeing the Aami Ad. I think we often forget the ad they came from in the first place, and the saying itself becomes the product. Which is the total opposite of the intention, I guess.

 SO, heres my list of little ear worms...

1) "Not Happy Jan" 
Telstra Yellow Pages. That one was everywhere. That ad aired between 2000 and 2003 AND PEOPLE STILL SAY IT!

2) "Thatll be the phone , Reg" *
This was a Telstra one too. Old couple on the porch and wife says the line. I think there were others in the series, but this one was the one that stuck. Although, it kinda fits in one of my most hated Advertising ctegories- The Idiot Husband ads. There were a rash of ads a few years ago that all followed the same brief- Wife Rolls Eyes at Idiot husband. The End. Lazy, insulting advertising makes me wanna punch someone.


3) "Sic em, Rex" 

Very eighties, this one. The girl in the ad was the darling of Dolly magazine- constant cover model. It was  bit naughty and very suggestive, but when I was a teenager, I just thought Rex the anteater was cute.

4) "G-O-GG-O"
I love that dude. Who doesnt love impersonating his accent???? Do it now. It will cheer you up. Lets do it together... G-O-GG-O. Awesome.


5) "O Kono No!" "He says he doesnt know..." 


This was a John West tuna ad. From 1987. Its one of those little hangers on that I still say, and until today, probably couldnt have told you where it came from. Well played, John West. Well Played.


I am totally showing my age here!!

My mum does still say "Drink it, Freddie!" Which was a Nestles Quick ad from 1970!!!! In Black and White!! Hmmmm..... I wonder what the OLDEST catchphrase that is still in the vernacular is?

What are your favourite ad catchphrases?


post signature

* I cant find a single image or video of this ad on the whole interwebz! Whats that about??? If anyone can find it, ill give you a million dollars. I wont really... ask my husband. I owe him, like, 47 million dollars. He thinks I am good for it. I am totally not.

Available link for download