Thursday, February 16, 2017

Free Fall

Free Fall


Who doesnt fear failure? I mean, really. No one sets out on something huge and says, "well, whatever". Or if they do, I cant relate.



So, Ive been working on this thing - my life, specifically - since I packed my bags for Northwestern in 2000. It was there, during my undergrad degree completion, that I realized what I wanted most for myself: a family and a career I love. And I also came to understand that to the be the wife and mother I desired, I would need a career that offered me flexibility.

For all of my (albeit brief) adult life, Ive been working at those two things: a family and a career. And it happened perfectly. I met a boy, shared in the most beautiful wedding, and made a wonderful little baby. Meanwhile, I got a Masters Degree, worked as a therapist, and earned licensure. For everything Ive done there have been steps, timing, and a plan. There has always been another hurdle on the horizon. Finish my hours, so I can take the exam. Wait for the call that youre actually pregnant. You know, stuff like that. "Someday well have a baby and Ill have my own therapy practice". Then that baby became a reality, as did leaving my non-flexible job.

I have officially turned in my two weeks notice. Its really happening. All of it. Everything I have worked toward, the final step in the process, is now. Ive never been so excited and simultaneously terrified.

Available link for download