Saturday, February 4, 2017

Geithner Wins Pundits Lose

Geithner Wins Pundits Lose


Peter Schroeder of The Hill points out that “Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner has fended off repeated calls for his resignation to become the last man standing from President Obama’s original economic team.”

To which I say, “hurrah!” I held Geithner in high regard before the crisis, and I think his performance as Treasury Secretary has been superb. He has consistently refused to allow the media/political circus to dictate his policy decisions, and, as a result, has been the target of a seemingly never-ending stream of ill-informed and often disingenuous attacks from journalists, politicians, and pundits. (I’ve head all the criticisms of Geithner, and I’ve found them wanting, to say the least.) But, thankfully, he has endured, and I’d say it’s now likely that Geithner will be Treasury Secretary for the duration of Obama’s presidency. In other words: Geithner wins, pundits lose.

Available link for download